Friday, May 20, 2011

Autopsy- Severed Survival- A Brutal Piece of Death Metal History



Burning from the inside out
Bloody foam spews from your mouth
Smell the putrid stench of flesh
As it burns you to your death

These words start off one of the most brutal albums I've heard in my experience with death metal. This album is a insane, the riffs range from slow and crushing to fast tremolo riffs and even those mid-paced headbangable ones. The structures of the songs are ever changing and the whole album has a great bass presence. I also feel like the production is perfect, not overly polished, but not terrible every instrument has its place. The vocals are your typical old school death metal growls and sometimes the occasional higher pitched scream. The solos on this album sound like they were pulled straight off of a thrash metal album, those squeedily fast legato phrases that I love so much. The drumming also has a good bit of variation, he isn't just using blast beats the whole time. Maybe my favorite aspect of this album is the lyrics, which are nice and brutal, my possible favorite being the title track about being stranded and having to eat his own limbs to survive. I'm also fond of the story about the cannibal mortician in Service for a Vacant Coffin. This album has everything an old school death metal album should have, headbanging riffs, thick basslines, fast solos, and brutal lyrics.

Final Rating 98%

1 comment:

  1. "Severed Survival" is probably the album that got me into death metal (along with Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness"). Other than the brutal vocals, guitars and bass, I really think it was the lyrics that caught my attention on this album, especially the title track. It really had me struck with awe, and always had me imagine that scene every time I listened to it. Brilliant album!

    ReplyDelete