Thursday, April 11, 2013

Best Metal Albums of 2012

     

          As I am a little late to the party I will make this quick. These are my favorite metal albums of last year from all that I have heard

20. Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind
19.  The Faceless- Autotheism
18.High on Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis
17. Spawn of Possession- Incurso
16. Cradle of Filth- The Manticore
15. Belakor- Of Breath and Bone
14 Pallbearer- Sorrow and Extinction
13. Panopticon- Kentucky
12. Swallow the Sun- The Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
11. Blut aus Nord- 777 Cosmosophy
10. Overkill- The Electric Age
9. Woods of Ypres- Grey Skies and Electric Lights
8.. Baroness- Yellow and Green
7.. Accept- Stalingrad
6. Alcest- Les Voyages de L'ame
5. Rush- Clockwork Angels
4 Enslaved- RIITIIR
3. Kreator- Phantom Antichrist
2. Ne Obliviscaris Portal of I
1. Wintersun- Time Vol I



          And so instead of going into grave detail in each one as I would normally do. I will point out some of my high points on these albums.
          My all time favorite has been Wintersun. Everyone joked that it was about time they released this beast of an album. The only complaint I have is that it isn't long enough. Its a bombastic epic sounding album that in my opinion tops their self titled one in every way. It has so many layers of music and the lyrics are amazing. Ne Obliviscaris was my biggest surprise because I never thought it could live up to the hype that was surrounding it, but it far exceeded my expectations. Kreator and Overkill both came out with what some would term Thrashterpieces.
        Another one that surprised me was Rush's Clockwork Angels. I expected it to be mediocre for some reason but it was an amazing sounding album. It was Rush showing that they can still outdo the bands they influenced. Baroness was a little bit on the experimental side but it worked amazingly well in my eyes.
       Perhaps the strangest release of last year was Panopticon's Kentucky. Bluegrass black metal, it works well but Wtf.

Well this year I will try to be more thorough.




No comments:

Post a Comment